Monday, October 12, 2015

A Clear View of the Creek

I live in a community next to a town that has a creek running through it.  That creek is a beautiful expression of God's creation, and we love looking at it, but most of all, we would love to get in it!!  It is our great wish and prayer that some day we might be able to live on that creek or another one like it.  My wife and I talk about it every time we see the creek and I am praying that God will one day give us the opportunity to live on the water in some form or fashion.  We saw some building lots the other day that were in a location where the underbrush could be removed and then we could build a house that would overlook the creek.  The underbrush was blocking the view, but the huge trees on the lot were no distraction at all because their branches didn't even start for at least 20 feet up the tree trunk.  I could almost totally see my wife and I walking down the lot from a well-positioned house to the creek below and looking at the water?  No!  Jumping in!  It would be a shame to have that water and not enjoy it by swimming in it.  Oh we could clear out all the underbrush we wanted and build an immaculate house, but what would be the use if we didn't use the creek for all it was intended.  Swimming!!  Of course, I could fish in it also, but the swimming would be the ultimate high for us.  That may only be a wish that never gets to be a reality, but it is still fun to wish.
Which brings to mind the ability to live a full and fruitful life as God provides.  No underbrush (sin) restricting full view of something wonderful God wants to do through your life that you can really enjoy.  The ultimate high!!  Anything to do with water is usually active.  I like to swim in it and I remember as a kid I would barely have my head out of the lake as I observed the life that was going on  around me.  I just wanted to stay there in the water.  It felt so soothing.  Also,  when I was a kid my dad bought a boat dock on a lake and moved our family down there.  At first I didn't want to leave the safe, secure, town I had friends in, but all of that changed when I realized that we were going to be living just about 50 yards from the lake.  My first time in that water made me think, "Forget my old friends.  This is the best!"  My childhood memories of that time are all glowing.   Even though I got bit by a copperhead snake while living there, I still count that as a great place to grow up.  So water has been a big part of my life.  When someone says, "There is a creek down beyond those trees, I'm trying to spot the creek immediately.  Why?  I like water!!  To me life by a creek would be the ultimate thing, but I wouldn't want to only look at it, but swim in it.  No restrictions between me and that water.  A clear view of the creek would be awesome, because I am going to jump in and recapture a little of the beautiful childhood memories of the best years of my childhood.  Many of Jesus' disciples were lovers of water too.  It must have been tough to leave behind the "life on the water" experiences, but their mission in life changed the moment they met Jesus.  When Jesus was nailed to the cross they were a long way from the lake.   When the Holy Spirit came upon them they were also a long way from the lake.  Their clear view of the water was exchanged for a clearer view of real life centered around following Jesus.  They had a clear view of eternity and all it held for them and the ones they shared their message with as they traveled on the road. 
When the underbrush of their lives was cleared away they had a clear view of who Jesus was and what His mission was and they left it all to follow Him.  I may never get to have a clear view of the creek in my life, but I do get the privilege of having a clear view of Jesus and all He wants to show me as I follow Him.  No underbrush, just tall trees with a good view of all the abundant life has to offer.  That view is a precursor to an even better view when Jesus returns to take us to our heavenly home. Jeremiah 17:8 says, " He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream.  it does not fear when heat  comes; its leaves are always green.  It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."  Don't trade the truly important things in life for a desire to have a clear view of the creek.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith. Hebrews 12:2
Where are your eyes today?  Are they fixed on Jesus or are they looking for the next creek to lay around and look at.  Live the active life that Jesus has called each of us to live and you will find your "creek" in life in the blessings that only He can give as you serve Him.  Matthew 5:8  "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God."  I'm liking this view the best right now.  Hope you are too!!  A Clear view of our Savior....

The Pilgrimage continues..

David Warren

No comments: