Monday, January 4, 2016

I Can't Get No Satisfaction

Psalm 104:1 Praise the LORD, O my soul. O LORD my God, you are very great; you are clothed with splendor and majesty. 
2 He wraps himself in light as with a garment; he stretches out the heavens like a tent 
3 and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters. He makes the clouds his chariot and rides on the wings of the wind. 
4 He makes winds his messengers,flames of fire his servants. 
5 He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved. 
6You covered it with the deep as with a garment; the waters stood above the mountains. 
7 But at your rebuke the waters fled, at the sound of your thunder they took to flight; 
8 they flowed over the mountains, they went down into the valleys, to the place you assigned for them. 
9You set a boundary they cannot cross; never again will they cover the earth. 
10 He makes springs pour water into the ravines; it flows between the mountains. 
11 They give water to all the beasts of the field; the wild donkeys quench their thirst. 
12 The birds of the air nest by the waters; they sing among the branches. 
13 He waters the mountains from his upper chambers;the earth is satisfied by the fruit of his work. 
14 He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for man to cultivate-- bringing forth food from the earth:
27 These all look to you to give them their food at the proper time. 
28 When you give it to them, they gather it up; when you open your hand, they are satisfied with good things. 
satisfied - content, fulfilled, complete
Like the Rolling Stones song we just can't get satisfied. It is a never ending thought that drives us to greatness or ruin...
Here are the lyrics:I can't get no satisfaction  I can't get me no satisfaction And I try and I try and I try t-t-t-t-try try
In the above scripture the Psalmist states where our true satisfaction comes from and it comes from knowing a God who is the all in all or the I Am. God is the almighty, the ever encompassing, the fulfillment of life. He is GOD! In all of His power and His majesty we could be satisfied by knowing Him as Creator King, but God takes it a step further by allowing us access to Him by sending His Son, Jesus to clear out any obstructions between us and Him. Jesus came and dealt with our sin problem and made it so we could approach the throne of grace boldly.  Hebrews 4:16 says Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Just before that verse the scripture says that Jesus can relate to all we are going through...ALL. That is huge!!! It means He is not distant, but very close when we need Him the most. I love my quiet time when it gets real personal between me and Jesus and He ministers to my heart and my mind and fulfills my longing for closeness with God. For years I led different believers to develop a quiet time with God and almost at times would try to get them to make it a habit. But a real time of intimacy with God is much more than any habit or special time of the day. We are speaking to and listening to the God of the ages. The Psalm 104 scripture says all that God is and all that God does and it is an awesome representation of who we are in relationship with and all He controls. When it comes to life, there is nothing more left to fulfill us....nothing. God is enough, whether we realize it or not. He is enough!!! The try, try, try lyric of the song "I Can't No Satisfaction" is a visual of our blindness to what we have in God. We are chasing the wind, when we have a relationship with the one who "makes" the wind. We are looking for replenishing when we have a relationship with the one who makes the waters. I could go on and on, but the point is "God is our satisfaction." Then we go from there and live our life out of that completeness we find in Him. Luther Barnes wrote the song I Am Satisfied and the lyrics go like this: I am so satisfied. I am so satisfied with my Savior. He means more to me than anything, anything that this world Could ever offer. I am so satisfied. I am so satisfied with my Savior He means more to me than anything, Anything that this world could ever offer me. 
When God is the satisfying or fulfilling part of my life, I find satisfaction. When the desires of the world are what I pursue for satisfaction, I am left empty, unfulfilled. Perhaps today would be a great day to spend some close, intimate time with God and find out His perspective on what is real fulfillment and then apply that to everything we do for the rest of the day. The day would have so much more meaning if we did that and our life would take on a whole new look......we would be satisfied!!  Think about it.  The God who holds this whole world together wants to spend time with me.  Now that is satisfying.....


The Pilgrimage continues....


David Warren

No comments: