Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Mother's Special Place in This World

Anna M. Jarvis (1864-1948) first suggested the national observance of an annual day honoring all mothers because she had loved her own mother so dearly. At a memorial service for her mother on May 10, 1908, Miss Jarvis gave a carnation (her mother's favorite flower) to each person who attended. Within the next few years, the idea of a day to honor mothers gained popularity, and Mother's Day was observed in a number of large cities in the U.S. On May 9, 1914, by an act of Congress, 
President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed the second Sunday in May as Mother's Day. He established the day as a time for "public expression of our love and reverence for the mothers of our country." By then it had become customary to wear white carnations to honor departed mothers and red to honor the living, a custom that continues to this day.
Pulpit helps May 1991
Genesis 3:20 - Adam named his wife Eve, because she would become the mother of all the living. 
As Mother's Day approaches there is an all out assault by a secular and Christian world to come across as lifting up mothers.  I use the word assault because many times the thing that drives this recognition is none other than money and greed.  The rest of the year motherhood is basically ignored and even put down by those wanting to advance "their" rights as individuals.  To me that is so ironic because a true mother is one who only wants to serve, whether it be her husband or her children.  She is a servant.  A secular humanistic society will call that being slighted, but God's word calls her glorified and highly esteemed.  In fact in Proverbs 31:10 it speaks of a Godly wife by saying, "A wife of noble character who can find?  She is worth far more than rubies."  Part of that noble character, a BIG part of that noble character is heightened by the introduction of motherhood in a woman's life.  When a woman has a child it changes her, in some ways completes her, and even strengthens her.  For women who cannot go through child birth they sometimes feel like they are missing something.  In God's great wisdom He sees fit to alleviate their emptiness in mothering by allowing them to adopt or become godmothers to other's children, but mothering just the same.  What I am saying is the mothering capacity God gives to women is "special" and even life changing for those who get to experience it.  Personally I am thankful for all mothers, even the poor examples of mothering, because there is still hope for them to realize just how special God has made motherhood.  Mothers take on a power to protect that mirrors God's great protection of His people and in that mirror mothers can also be seen protecting their children in many ways.  In watching the NFL draft, I was amazed, not surprised, to see so many mothers walking the red carpet with their sons.  Sons looking to lift up their moms because of how much their moms made them believe in themselves by saying "you can do this."  I know my mother was a constant encouragement to me and I miss her words of strength urging me on to greatness.  My wife Andra, has been the best example of motherhood I have ever seen and I know that my children will echo these words when I say, "she is the best!"  If you were going to mess with our children, you were going to mess with mom.  If you doubted my children were capable of doing something she would reroute your mind to a better place called belief.  If you threatened to harm our children you were walking into a lions den.   Mothering is a special quality that God put in His creation and that quality continues to shape lives and our world.
I thank God for my mother, my wife, and my daughters and daughter in laws and lift them up as being pivotal women in God's plan.  I want to honor them and say, "We need you."  And say it again and again.  Please keep on keeping on!!  You are appreciated and loved.
You have a special place in this thing we call life and God has blessed all of us with your presence.
Happy Mother's Day Andra, Dana, Natalie, Lindsey, and Jessica.  And to all mothers out there.  Happy Mother's Day and thanks for being a mother.
Keep this scripture in mind - Proverbs 31:30 - "Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, But a woman who reveres the Lord will be praised."  I hope my words of praise will in some way let you know how much you are appreciated and loved.

The Pilgrimage continues....


David Warren

No comments: