Tuesday, April 7, 2009

that's a mouthful!

Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.
--Ephesians 6:19-20
As I read this scripture today I realized just how much we need to be proclaiming the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ by not only our actions but our mouth. I sometimes can get in the rut of reasoning, where I think I will do the gospel, and think that is a good substitute for sharing the gospel. This should never be, and the excuse we use, “I don’t want to say it if I’m not living it” ends up being just that -- an excuse.
Actions do speak loudly and praise God for the actions of Godly servants who give themselves to serving our Lord through service. Of course we don’t want to share truth when that truth is not readily evident in our life. But these are not separate things! They work together. Serving makes a way for sharing, and sharing follows up with serving. Together they are strong, but apart from each other they are weakened.
When Paul was writing this letter to the Ephesians he was writing to a group of people who loved his ministry and mirrored his heart for serving the Lord. His letter had many elements but it ended with two points. First of all, he implored them to be ready in every area of their life to stand against the forces of evil that would surely come their way, evil that wanted to stop the gospel from being shared. Second, he wanted them to pray for him as he boldly proclaimed the gospel. He wanted them to pray for him to be fearless and have the words to proclaim the gospel in every situation, good and bad. He wanted to have a mouthful of truth every time he shared.
Our heart should be in line with his when we don’t just do but we speak for Jesus Christ. My prayer is that I will have a mouthful of truth to give to everyone who is willing to listen. I heard a mouthful when it was shared with me and now it is my turn to not only chew on it but share it. When does that start? Now! As we lead worship this week, may we have a mouthful of truth as we share our praises through music to our Lord. I’m praying for you. Please pray for me.


The Pilgrimage continues....


David Warren

No comments: