Wednesday, April 15, 2009

wait watchers...

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God."
—Matthew 4:4

I was trying not to pig out over the weekend since I had pigged out the week before. So I made up my mind: no big portions and no sweets! I did pretty good until Andra brought out the Ziti for our noon meal after our Easter services. There’s something about certain foods that drives me to become a stark raving food lunatic. Ziti is one of those foods. I could actually taste it before it was put on my plate, and when I actually did taste it...BAM! Wow, what a great taste, and the expectation was fully warranted. I was like the dog on the dog food commercial, where he says bacon, bacon, bacon, except I was saying Ziti, Ziti, Zi—ti. I scarfed it down and then looked at Andra with puppy dog eyes and said, “More?” Second helping, just as good, except now my taste buds were rolling! Could there be a three-peat? I had to stop. I just walked away from the table knowing I could not have eaten even a little bit more. I was one bite away from gluttony as it was. I wasn’t over the edge, but I could see it from there. Scary, you might say. Oh yeah.

When reading the scripture where Jesus was tempted by satan with food, or the lack there of, I couldn’t help but think about the Weight Watchers healthy eating plan. I know just enough to be dangerous, but I think it involves discipline, direction, drive and dedication. There are weigh-ins, encouragement sessions, ongoing calorie counting, and an increasing understanding of the right and wrong foods to eat. It’s a great plan and I really want to commend those who I have personally seen change their eating habits through WW and who now look totally different. They have been able to resist the foods that aren’t good and refocus on those that ARE good.

In Matthew 4, Jesus had been without much food or water for forty days and satan tempts Him to use His power to turn stones into bread. He could have done it, but in turn He resisted satan and quoted Deuteronomy 8:3 in the process and moved on. He is the Word of God and quoted the Word of God. Wow, double trouble for the tempter. Christ showed discipline, direction, drive and dedication. He knew where the strength came from and not only thought about it, but said it.

God’s Word in Hebrews 4:12 says, “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” God’s Word slices out life in the right portions for each of us. Not useless fatty portions, but the “good stuff!” Scripture says in 1 Peter 2:2 “Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation.” That means we are to be Wait Watchers, much like some people are Weight Watchers. We wait on the Lord and trust in His Word. We are disciplined, directed, driven and dedicated to His Word. Scripture says in Psalm 5:3, “In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.” This food is worth waiting for and we must have a craving in our souls for it. Once you taste it, you want more and more and the end result is your life on track with God’s plan. ‘Nuff said!

Be a Wait Watcher and see just how spiritually in shape God can get each of us when we learn to crave His Word and His ways. One taste and you are hooked. Take a bite today and see what happens.

David Warren
Worship Pastor

No comments: