Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Which able are you?

I had someone ask me about taking on a fresh new ministry area a few years ago. As I was talking to them, I made the comment, “I’m available, but I don’t know if I’m able!” This person in turn said, “If you are able, then you try to be available.” I thought about that one for a while and I came up with some good excuses from past books I had read about being overcommitted and burned out. I pretty much stopped myself from falling into the trap of being too active for Christ. Whew, that was close. I almost became a living sacrifice for Christ! Wait a minute…

It can happen to the best of us. We know God has equipped us for a specific task or ministry effort and then we pull out the list. You know, the list of reasons why I’m not available for this specific ministry that I am perfectly fitted for by God. Somewhere on the list I find the one that takes away as much guilt as possible and then I log it in my memory and get on with what I want to do. Mission accomplished, I have found a good way to say NO on just about everything God has uniquely equipped me to do. But now who’s gonna do it? Oh, someone will…won’t they?

The truth is that the “fearfully and wonderfully” made part in scripture is actually talking about uniquely gifted people God has made to serve Him. It’s a great reason to be against abortion, and also a great reason to allow God to use your gifts for His plan. If we celebrate the essence of life, shouldn’t we also celebrate the presence of life given by God to EACH of us by serving Him with all our heart? I think so.

God has made each of us able to serve Him. He also empowers us to be available, the other able. So, which able are you? I hope you are both, able and available. Listen to what Jim Cymbala, pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle Church said once,
“No matter the society or culture, the city or town, God has never lacked the power to work through available people to glorify His Name.” Let everything and everyone that has breath praise the Lord, by using the gifts He has given each of us.
Let everything that has breath
praise the LORD.
--Psalm 150:6
The Pilgrimage continues.....
David Warren

No comments: