Monday, June 21, 2010

Herbal Essence - The Natural Shampoo

In a world that is so full of plastics, nylons, meshes, and neoprenes it's amazing to see how many times we want to get to the very essence (natural state) of something.  You see Kashi, Natural Grains, and many other food attempts to get back to the "real thing."  Years ago you were considered a kook if wanted to do the natural approach to anything and then it became a fad and a way of life for many.  Now there is a desire in many to get something with all natural basic ingredients and not let artificial be in anything.  I personally think it is good to get back to the natural ingredients and not stray too far away from those natural things supplied by God.  One thing that really got my attention years ago was when the brand Herbal Essence shampoo first came out.  Herbal Essence shampoo touted that it contained natural ingredients meant to promote a healthy scalp and shiny hair.  The first time I used it I was convinced, "This natural stuff is much better."  It started a short, but good relationship with the shampoo.  Actually I quit using it when the bottle ran out and traded it in for a cool looking bottle of Paul Mitchell after watching them win a corporate volleyball challenge.  You see, I didn't really fall fully in love with the natural thing because in my heart I knew it wasn't totally natural, just naturally looking.  I wanted to experience the essence of shampoo production, but short of using a natural hair cleaner made from wild hickory nuts that didn't even lather, I quit.
Sometimes we are that way with our Christian Faith.  We desire to know more of God and develop that intimate relationship that will draw us closer to God and His ways.  Then we see how counterfeit our faith is at times and it almost makes us cautious to pursue going any deeper because we don't know if it's real or not.  Cautioned is warranted and we need to look for real God Essence and not the fake stuff.  God Essence is all natural and it's basis is found in God's Word and the discernment given by The Holy Spirit.  It's all about cleansing or cleaning.  Allowing God's "shampoo" to clean the dirt out of our spiritual hair and then coat the ongoing "flakyness" that comes up way to often in our life is a step in the right direction.  This cleaning is done in the most natural, intimate way possible by a God who really cares to get us back to basics.   In Psalm 51 King David shares his heart with God in the most natural way possible, by confessing openly his sin.  In his desire to get cleansed completely he admitted everything and asked God to simply shampoo his mistakes and clean him up.  I love the way The Message version of the Bible states it.  "Scrub away my guilt, soak out my sins in your laundry.  I know how bad I've been; my sins are staring me down. You're the One I've violated and you've seen it all, seen the full extent of my evil.  You have all the facts before You; whatever you decide about me is fair. Soak me in your laundry and I will come out clean.  Scrub me and I'll have a snow-white life.. "  Sounds like a good scrubbing with a heavenly shampoo that is all natural and completely thorough.
Since we gave our life to Christ, we always have the Holy Spirit compelling us to draw near to God and be more like Him.  He is an all natural God and when we drop all the plastic in our life, we begin to look more and more like Him.  No substitutes, no additives.  Just God.  He is enough and His forgiveness is life changing.  Get to the essence of everything.......God!



The pilgimage continues.....



David Warren

No comments: