Saturday, May 22, 2010

I Am What I Am

Years ago when I was a youth pastor, we had a band come to one of our events and their lead singer was an awesome singer. I had a chance to talk to him for awhile and of course, being a musician, I tried to find out all the instruments he could play and where he was musically.  To my surprise he wasn't biting.  I persisted though, and finally he blurted out, "I just sing.  I don't play any instruments.  I just sing."  I said, "Oh, ok.! Most people in music "branch out " in one form or the other and try to learn to play different instruments and in many ways it becomes a challenge to learn the next big thing.  This guy wasn't like that and it kind of intimidated me.  Why?  Because he knew what God had equipped him to do and he wanted to do that one thing and do it well.  He didn't get in on "the game" and I will have to tell you, I was very impressed and learned a  lot from our little conversation.  I also noticed at the concert later that night, that he was very good at what  he did and spent a lot of time on the talent God had given him.  He left the playing and the other stuff to the other guys.  HE WAS SECURE IN WHO HE WAS...
Certain personalities many times have certain little "ticks" they have to deal with from time to time.  Like the compulsion to do the next big thing without finishing or completing the one thing they are naturally gifted to do.  It's kind of like a spiritual ADD and much like ADD you can lose focus on the important thing and allow other things to distract you from God completing His work in YOU!
Paul wrote to the Corinthians in 1 Corinthians 2: 1-5, saying "When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God."  Paul goes on to drive home the point that his weakness was made strong through the strength of the Lord, so that when praise comes around it naturally goes to God.  He said he couldn't fool anybody with his persuasive language, but he could share what he knew, and that was Christ crucified.  The rest he left up to God.  He was glad to say, "I am what I am."  We try to say that but many times want to show that we are exceptional.  The only exceptional in us is Christ.  We are stewards or caretakers of the abilities God has given through the way He made us and the power of the Holy Spirit.  What has God given you and are you taking care to protect it and grow in it.  Or do you find yourself getting bored with it and then walking away from it before it has become all it was meant to be.  God has naturally gifted all His people to serve Him, but never forget how and why you got this gift.  It is for God's glory.  You may have a great desire to be a great communicator and speak before a large group of people, but God enabled you to do something different.  Take what He gave you and grow that talent or gift to the best it can be.  I don't believe God just flippantly gives us these gifts to be unused or abused.  There is great purpose in our lives and God's plans go way beyond what we see.  Lives are waiting in the balance for you to find how God has uniquely gifted and created you.  You are who you are and that is good.  Stay on track and God will show you awesome things you never thought possible.



The Pilgrimage continues....



David Warren

No comments: