Thursday, May 20, 2010

To Be Continued....

I was watching one of my favorite Chuck Episodes awhile back and it was building to a big climax and then those dreaded words came on the screen, "To Be Continued."  I was in shock.  How could you drag me along like that for almost an hour and then just leave me hanging?  Of course, we know the how and why.  They wanted me to watch next week.  I did.  They didn't need to do all of that to get me to watch though.  Here is my schedule:  Look at the show listings on Sunday Night; set dvr to record Chuck, day over, go to sleep.  Watching Chuck has become a "habit" for me and I consider myself an insider.  I can't wait for the next hilarious week's episode and eagerly anticipate watching the Chuckster with no distractions.
Which brings to mind.  I do this same thing with anything I really enjoy.   Whether it be a night out with my wife, a great favorite meal from a favorite restaurant, a great movie (with large refillable popcorn and a diet coke) or.......my quiet time.  I was reading a recent Oswald Chambers daily devotional and he stressed the need to make your whole day one that is centered around keeping your thoughts on Christ.  I agree totally and believe that meaningless, repetitious quiet times with no life change rate right up there with attending church for no apparent reason, and repetitious prayers.  I mean, come on.  Religious exercise has little or nothing to do with improving our relationship with Christ and deep inside we know we have the tendency to make an unhealthy habit of almost everything.
The quiet time I am talking about is a synergetic thing.  One that begins with God showing you a great truth and then that truth builds on another and another, until you start really hating to leave your time with and God and can't wait to do it again and again.  I'm talking a quiet time that changes you completely every time you take that time plunge into God's Wisdom Waters.   God desires for us to grow closer to Him and one way He seems to do that is by tying everything in our life together moment by moment.
Many a time I have finished a quiet time and just when I thought I had something figured out God says, "to be continued."  Instead getting upset, it just keeps me thinking about that particular truth all day until our next time together.  As I am doing that what happens is He is preparing my heart and mind for the next thing and when He lays an insight on me I am more ready to accept it because He wet my appetite.  Thank you God for caring enough to spend time with me.  Continue to show me Your ways and keep on continuing.   Philippians 1:6 says, "He who began a good work in  you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."  To be continued.....



The Pilgrimage continues...



David Warren

No comments: